Residential Development

Since the start, NWSI has worked closely with Home HeadQuarters (HHQ) in its efforts to increase homeownership in the neighborhood. HHQ purchased 105 properties, many from slum landlords that had been identified by the community as substandard housing. Over the last seven years, 41 new homeowners have benefited from the work that HHQ has done in partnership with NWSI. Of those 41, 70% were first-time homeowners previously renting in the neighborhood. The remaining 30% were individuals who believed in the work of the NWSI and wanted to invest in the neighborhood by permanently relocating there. In addition to developing new housing stock, Home HeadQuarters has run a variety of financing programs in the community to help residents build equity, including first mortgage assistance, property sale and interim financing, and home improvement loans and grants.